Sights in Darmstadt

Darmstadt's sights, Art and Culture

On a hill, the landmark of Darmstadt rises into the sky: the Wedding Tower. The Artists' Colony Mathildenhoehe, the Exhibition Hall, the Wedding Tower, the Artists' Colony Museum and the magnificent artists' houses from the time of Art Nouveau give this hill its unique flair.

In addition, Darmstadt also has a variety of other attractions: the modern science and congress center darmstadtium or the Staatstheater Darmstadt, the colourful "Waldspirale" from Friedensreich Hundertwasser or numerous parks and gardens.

Beside the well-known museums such as the Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt, the Museum Artists' Colony Darmstadt or the Museum in the residential palace, there are also the Museum Jagdschloss Kranichstein, the Grand Ducal Hessian Porcelain collection or the Kunsthalle Darmstadt as well as other museums and cultural institutions to discover.

 

Sights in Darmstadt

House of History

House of History

The neo-classical building, home today to numerous archives, was first opened in 1819 as a court theatre, designed by Georg Moller. With room for almost two thousand spectators, Grand Duke Ludwig 1 wanted to open the opera to a broader public. It has not been used as an opera house since it was destroyed during the war in September 1944.

Pauluskirche

closed

Pauluskirche

The church of St Paul (the Pauluskirche) and the neighbouring vicarage were built to the plans of the architect Friedrich Puetzer between 1905 and1907. The Pauluskirche, Paulusplatz and the building of the Landeshypothekenbank (which today houses the church administration of the evangelist church in Hessen and Nassau) form the centre of the Paulusviertel neighbourhood of Darmstadt.

 

From an architectural viewpoint, the Pauluskirche is indebted to the reform architecture. Friedrich Pützer was looking for a new design style to delineate his work from historicism (neo-romantic, neo-gothic).

Although he used traditional elements, for example from Roman and Gothic churches, also from the castle architecture of the middle-ages, he combined it all in a playfully modern form.

Inside, the church contains a rich collection of sculptures and stained-glass. It is used for numerous concerts and other events. The Schuke-Organ in its barrel-vaulted location is famous well beyond Darmstadt, with concerts by organists from all over the world.

Art Nouveau Bath

closed

Art Nouveau Bath

The "Darmstadt City Bath", built between 1907 and 1909, offered separate swimming pools for men and women as well as showers and bath tubs for people with no bathroom.

 

Following extensive renovation, the complex with its three wings and Art Nouveau decor is today a true wellness temple with swimming pool, outdoor pool, sauna and SPA.

House of Industrial Heritage

closed

House of Industrial Heritage

The printing museum is a part of the Hessen state museum in Darmstadt.

The printing museum gives an insight into the techniques of type casting, typesetting, and print methods. Numerous still-functioning machines document the transition from manual labour to machines in the printing trade from the beginning of the 19th century until the 1970s.

 

 

A visit is only possible by appointment!

Darmbach spring

Darmbach spring

The Darmbach spring is located above the Oberjägermeisterteich - the current version dates from 1937. From there the Darmbach flows through the eastern forest areas of the city, feeds the fish ponds along the Schnampelweg, flows from the Vivarium through a piece of meadow landscape, crosses the Botanical Garden and flows through the large Woog and the Rudolf-Mueller-Anlage; then runs underground and reappears in the west of the city, after flowing through the sewage plant.

Luisenplatz

Luisenplatz

Looking down over Luisenplatz, the biggest and busiest square in the centre of Darmstadt, is the Ludwigs Monument, affectionately known to the locals as „Langer Ludwig“ in memory of Grand Duke Ludwig the first. The main building on the north side of the square, the Kollegiengebäude, was built in the eighteenth century and today houses the regional council. A further statue in the square pays tribute to Justus von Liebig, who was born in Darmstadt in 1803.

 

Tip:

From April to October, the Lange Ludwig is open for visitors every 1st Saturday of the month. 172 steps lead to the viewing platform at 30 m height and in fine weather you can enjoy a great view over the city.

> Due to COVID-19, there may be restrictions of the opening or no opening at all.

Porcelain Collection of the Grand Duchy of Hessen in Prinz-Georgs Palais

Porcelain Collection of the Grand Duchy of Hessen in Prinz-Georgs Palais

With the opening of the Porcelain Museum in 1908, Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine made the princely family's possessions, which had been accumulated over centuries, accessible to the public.

One focus is on the ceramic products of the Kelsterbach factory and the Höchst and Frankenthal factories located in the region. With Meissen, Nymphenburg, Sèvres, Vienna and St. Petersburg, further important manufactories are represented. With more than 4,000 objects from faience, stoneware and porcelain, the collection provides an overview of the artistic development of European ceramics from its beginnings to the end of the 19th century.

 

 

Info:

Due to construction work, the Porcelain Museum is currently closed.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Plane Tree Grove

Plane Tree Grove

On the occasion of the exhibition of the Artists’s Colony in 1914, the Platanenhain, a grove of plane trees planted in the 1830’s, was decorated by the sculptor Bernhard Hoetger with a row of sculptures and reliefs, which symbolise the circle of life.

Ostermann House

Ostermann House

The villa on the edge of the Mathildenhoehe was built in 1908 for Paul Ostermann, the director of the collection of the grand duchy, by Alfred Messel, the architect of the state museum. The classsical style of the villa bears no relation to the Art Nouveau of the neighbouring Artists‘ Colony. Today Ostermann House, also known as Alfred-Messel-House, is the home of "Hessen Design“.

Rosenhoehe

The rose garden (Rosarium) with its enormous variety of roses is the centre of attention on the Rosenhoehe, which came into being under Landgrave Ernst Ludwig. The hill became a park as early as 1810, when Grand Duchess Wilhelmine created a landscaped garden, with pavilions, swings and a tea house. The Rosenhoehe, with its old and new mausoleums, is also the final resting place of the families of the grand dukes.

New Synagogue

New Synagogue

The New Synagogue of the Jewish community was inaugurated in 1988 on the fiftieth anniversary of the " Reichspogromnacht“. The city of Darmstadt donated the stained-glass window. Until 1938, there had been two synagogues in Darmstadt: one orthodox and the other liberal. A memorial to the liberal synagogue can be found in Bleichstrasse.

Railway Museum Darmstadt-Kranichstein

closed

Railway Museum Darmstadt-Kranichstein

In the former rail depot, the "Verein Museumbahn" presents over 200 railway vehicles from all stages of rail history. The programme consists of guided tours through the vehicle fleet, a collection of historical signals and points and a model of the Main-Neckar railway. Steam train rides also take place regularly.

 

Open April until September

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

One-time 50% discount on the regular admission price for adults

Messel Pit World Heritage Site

closed

Messel Pit World Heritage Site

In 1995, the Messel pit was the first German natural monument in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage sites. It provides a unique insight into the early evolution of mammals and documents the development of the Earth 48 million years ago when, after the end of the dinosaur age, explosive changes determined the animal and plant world.

 

Several 10,000 fossils from the Eocene period have been excavated in the Maarvulkan Lake which was created 48 million years ago, and about 3,000 new finds are added annually. In addition to the high number and diversity of animal and plant fossils, their unique preservation of whole body skeletons, skin and coat shadows, feathers and stomach contents is particularly in the Messel pit.

 

Guided tours are held every day and invite visitors to discover this unique place. Anyone who visits this place will be amazed by the diversity of topics, which is also reflected in the permanent exhibition "Zeit und Messel Welten" (visitor centre). Here, industrial history, landscape, volcanism, rainforest and evolution are explained. The treasure chamber with several original finds also exerts a great fascination.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission for the visitor centre

Wedding Tower

closed

Wedding Tower

The Hochzeitsturm (Wedding Tower), with its famous five fingers profile, was a wedding present from the city of Darmstadt to Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Eleonore von Solms-Hohensolms-Lich in 1905. It is a viewing platform and, since 1993, also a branch of the Darmstadt registry office. It has become a symbol of the Darmstadt City of Science.

 

The observation deck offers a panoramic view of the city.

 

The Wedding Tower has an elevator, which can be reached via a few steps.

 

Model of the Wedding Tower:

A touching model of the Wedding Tower can be found in front of the tower at the staircase in the plane grove.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Small Glückert House

Small Glückert House

Olbrich had actually designed the house in 1901 for the sculptor Rudolf Bosselt, one of the first seven artists of the Artists‘ Colony, who was however unable to finance its completion. The furniture maker Julius Glueckert took over responsibility for the building in addition to his exhibition house, the Large Glückert House, and furnished it as his own residential home.

Dianaburg

The Dianaburg was built in 1765 as a hunting lodge and was also actively used for this purpose. Gradually, however, the building fell into disrepair as interest in hunting and pleasure palaces waned. Until it was restored in 2004 by an association founded for this purpose, youth groups had used it for camps and group work. Today, citizens of the districts of Arheilgen, Kranichstein and Wixhausen can get married here.

 

Located close to the "Kalkofen" inn, it is still worth taking a trip to the former castle and the fish pond within walking distance.

Darmstadt State Theatre

Darmstadt State Theatre

The Staatstheater Darmstadt offers music and dance theater, drama and concert. The theater is located on the Georg-Büchner-Platz in the neighborhood of the Ludwigskirche and the Mollerhaus and is visible with its eye-catching theater portal as well as its bright marble facade, accentuated with shimmering brass plates.

 

When it was completed in 1972, it was one of the first theatres in Germany in which stages, workshops and administration were gathered together under one roof.

 

Accessibility:

The areas are all accessible by elevator and in the small and large house as well as in the Kammerspiele wheelchair users can avail pre-reserved places. A floor guidance system and the marking of staircases allows orientation for visually impaired and blind people. For people with hearing aids, there is an inductive hearing system in all three rooms.

 

For further information, please visit: www.staatstheater-darmstadt.de/service/barrierefreiheit

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

15% discount on all repertoire performances, i.e. no premieres, guest performances or special events

Swan Temple

Swan Temple

The Swan Temple with its 8 double pillars and dark glazed ceramic tiles was designed by Albin Mueller for the exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony in 1914 as a ceramic garden pavillion. A special feature is the acoustic: if you stand in the middle and speak, the little temple becomes a whispering gallery.

Habich House

Habich House

House Habich was the residential home with studio of the Darmstadt sculptor Ludwig Habich, designed by Joseph Maria Olbrich for the exhibition in 1901. Destroyed in the war, it was re-built in 1951 in a somewhat simplified manner but in its original basic form.

Large Glückert House

Large Glückert House

The "Large Glückert House“, designed in 1901 by Joseph Maria Olbrich for the furniture maker Glueckert, served him as an exhibition room until the break-up of the Artists‘ Colony. Since 1971, the Large Glückert House has been the home of the German Academy for Language and Literature.

Stadtkirche

closed

Stadtkirche

The Stadtkirche was originally a chapel, then a parish church and after the reformation, it became a Lutheran town church. Since the times of Landgraf Georg I, the crypt of the church is the burial place of the Hessen-Darmstadt nobility. The centre of the church is the trigonometric point number one in measuring distances to and from Darmstadt.

darmstadtium - Science and Conference Centre

darmstadtium - Science and Conference Centre

Darmstadt's science and conference centre was built between 2005 and 2007 based on the plans of Talik Chalabi and Paul Schroeder and integrates parts of the old city walls. The complex offers a climate-friendly environment for conferences and is almost completely run on renewable energies. The name of the centre comes from chemical element 110, Darmstadtium, which was discovered in 1994 by the GSI (Society for Heavy Ion Research) in Darmstadt.

 

The darmstadtium is certified for accessibility in the "Reisen für Alle" project.

- Certified accessibility: accessible for people with walking impairments

- Certified accessibility: (partly) accessible for wheelchair users

The detailed information can be found here: www.reisen-fuer-alle.de/darmstadtium_249.html

Church of St. Ludwig

closed

Church of St. Ludwig

St. Ludwig’s Church was built in 1827, the first catholic church after the reformation in protestant Darmstadt. The architect Georg Moller modelled the church on the Pantheon in Rome. Mathilde, the only catholic grand duchess, was buried here. The interior of the church was refurbished to the plans of the artists of the time.

The Spanish Tower

The Spanish Tower

The Spanish Tower on the Rosenhoehe is a curiosity. Not just its purpose but also when it was built and by whom is still today a puzzle. No historical documents are available, leaving plenty of room for speculation.

Karl Esselborn suspects that it was formerly a functional building, maybe a windmill. Perhaps it was always conceived as an elaborately constructed housing for the gardeners. In the 1930s and 1940s, Johannes Koch, who took care of the trees, lived there. When one bears in mind that in 1845 Georg Moller built a similar stepped gabel on the central risalit of hunting lodge, Jagdschloss Kranichstein, one at least has a parallel to the gabel of the Spanish Tower. Moller could have possibly been the designer. The two smaller side wings were added in 1891, according to the fire registry. A frequently told story maintains that the tower was used as a viewing platform for military manoeuvres on the Oberfeld or as a place where the nobility met for tea. It is not even clear where the Spanish Tower gets its name from.

Residential Palace

Residential Palace

The palace of the counts of Hessen-Darmstadt and the Grand Dukes of Hessen and Rhine was originally a moated castle. The building consists of wings in renaissance style and the new baroque castle, designed by Louis Remy de la Fosse. The Palace Museum is located in the Glockenbau. Today the palace belongs to the Technical University of Darmstadt.

 

Since 2014, the former moat (Schlossgraben) is a park, open to the public.

Lincoln Wall

Lincoln Wall

With a length of almost 700 metres, the "Lincoln Wall" is Hesse's largest legal graffiti wall: the soundproof wall on the B3 brings street artists from all over the world to Darmstadt.

 

Over the years, the so-called "Lincoln Wall" has become a kind of outdoor art gallery: well over 100 graffiti the once grey concrete structure.

 

A walk along the 700-metre-long wall is worthwhile to discover new motifs again and again.

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt - UNESCO World Heritage

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt - UNESCO World Heritage

The Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt is an ensemble of Wedding Tower, Exhibition Hall, Museum Artists' Colony, plane tree grove and artist houses. It was laid out as the garden of the grand ducal court as early as the 19th century and was one of the most important centres of modern art and architecture in Europe and the world for 14 years, from 1901 to 1914. Its inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2021 underscores its global importance as a pioneer of modernity. .

Exhibition Hall on the Mathildenhöhe

Exhibition Hall on the Mathildenhöhe

The Exhibition Hall on Mathildenhöhe, which opened in 1908 together with the Hochzeitsturm, is the venue for outstanding special exhibitions of international contemporary art as well as art and culture around 1900. The tension between contemporary presentations and cultural-historical positions of the turn of the century results in an extraordinary and vital programme in which utopias and a spirit of departure meet a striking sense of form and reality.

 

The Exhibition Hall remains closed due to general renovation.

 

 

The "Hochzeitsturm“ (Wedding Tower) and the Exhibition Hall (1907-1908) were the work of Joseph Maria Olbrich. Hidden under the hall is the fascinating vault of a walled water reservoir, a technical masterpiece.

 

The reservoir was built between 1877 and 1880 to the plans of the engineer Otto Lueger at the highest point of the Mathildenhoehe – and at the time fed the city’s water supply network.

Weißer Turm

closed

Weißer Turm

In the middle ages, the Weisser Turm (White Tower) was part of the town’s fortification. After the demolition of the city walls in the eighteenth century, it became a clock and bell tower. Its silver bell chimed whenever a member of the ruling family died. Today, the tower is a landmark in Darmstadt’s city centre and is home to a photo gallery.

 

In the winter months, the tower can be visited on appointment under telephone number: 06151-372525.

Main Station

Main Station

When Darmstadt's main railway station (Hauptbahnhof) was opened in 1912, it was the first through station in Germany. The building, designed by Friedrich Puetzer, contains many Art Nouveau elements. Artists of the Mathildenhoehe, such as Heinrich Jobst who was responsible for the reliefs over the main entrance, also participated in the design.

 

 

Information on the services offered at Darmstadt Hauptbahnhof can be found at www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/Darmstadt_Hbf.html.

Accessibility:

If you need assistance with entry, transfer and disembarkation, mobile service staff will be there to help you.

Behrens House

Behrens House

Peter Behrehs, painter and craftsman, built with his first work an architectural monument. For the first exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony in 1901, he designed his own home with complete interior fittings – an example for the "Gesamtkunstwerk“ concept (complete work of art) propagated by the Jugendstil movement. The house was severely damaged in 1944, but its exterior was largely restored to the original design. Behrens, who was a member of the Artists‘ Colony from 1899 until 1903, is seen today as having paved the way for modern industrial construction.

Water tower Darmstadt

Water tower Darmstadt

The distinctive water tower was built in 1910 by architect Friedrich Mettegang. Built in the style of Art Nouveau as the nearby main station, he was used to supply the railway and locomotives with water and should have been demolished in 1978. Since 1986, he is privately owned by the musican and architect Albrecht Pfohl (alias "Obo") and is a historical monument. It is used as a studio and venue for events. The tower with its impressive levels is suitable for events for companies from 20 up to 90 persons.

Centralstation (former power station)

Centralstation (former power station)

The Centralstation was built in its original form in 1888 as Darmstadt’s first power station. The power station served mainly as a supplier of electricity for the street lamps in the town centre, the royal court and its theatre and, from 1897, also for the city’s trams. The plant was operational until 1921 and made Darmstadt, after New York and Berlin, the third city worldwide with such a comprehensive electricity supply.

 

In the 1990’s, the area around the City Carree was completely transformed and today, the Centralstation is a venue which features readings, exhibitions, lectures, dance events and jazz and pop concerts with artists from all over the world.

 

At concerts, people with disabilities are also welcome. They are getting discounted tickets and also get past entry to ensure a good spot right in front of the stage. In the basement there is a "toilet for all", which is easily accessible by elevator.

More Information: www.centralstation-darmstadt.de/service/barrierefreiheit/

Historical city- and prison wall

Historical city- and prison wall

A wall with history

 

A side entrance to the old Darmstadt prison on the Erich Ollenhauer Promenade was restored by the Darmstadt Technical University in accordance with the preservation order and now invites visitors to linger. Built in 1834 as the Grand Ducal Provincial Detention Centre, the building was used as a prison until 1970 and includes part of the 800-year-old city wall. The place combines city history and modernity, reminds us of old borders and makes a nice stopover on the way to Mathildenhöhe.

Russian Chapel

Russian Chapel

In 1894, Czar Nikolaus II of Russia married Princess Alix, the youngest sister of Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig, who commissioned the building of the Russian Chapel. It was inaugurated in 1899 and was used by the family of the Czar whenever they visited. The architect was Louis Benois of St. Petersburg. Today, it is the church of the Russian orthodox community in Darmstadt.

Herrngarten

Herrngarten

Initially laid out as a large vegetable garden, the Herrngarten became a baroque pleasure garden in the 17th century und later, in the 18th century under Countess Caroline, an English-style park. To the north-east, it borders on Prinz-Georgs-Garten, a Rococo-style complex in which fruit and vegetables can be found in between the trees and shrubs.

Technical University Darmstadt

Technical University Darmstadt

The Higher Vocational School, founded in 1836, became the Technical High School in 1877 and is, since 1997, a Technical University (TU). The first professorship world-wide for electrical engineering was established in Darmstadt in 1882. Today the TU Darmstadt has around twenty-five thousand students and is the first autonomous, self-governing German university. It belongs to the 100 best universities in the world.

Altstadtmuseum Hinkelsturm

closed

Altstadtmuseum Hinkelsturm

The Hinkelsturm was originally a fortified tower and part of Darmstadt‘s city walls. Today, the tiny building houses a museum which documents, over three floors, life in Darmstadt‘s former old town (Altstadt). A detailed model of the houses and the very narrow streets (scale of 1:160) shows how crowded it was to live there and brings back to life the area which Ernst Elias Niebergall immortalised in his cult novel „Der Datterich“.

 

The Museum is open in the summer months from April until October. Starting in November, you can book individual tours at 06151 48135

Waldspirale

Waldspirale

Since 2000, the apartment building "Waldspirale" designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser is an eye-catcher in the Buergerpark area of Darmstadt. The sand-coloured house rises from two to twelve stories and has over a thousand different windows. The 105 apartments are rented out by the Bauverein AG.

Jagdschloss Kranichstein

Jagdschloss Kranichstein

The Kranichstein hunting lodge, built around 1580, with its idyllic castle park lies within a picturesque hunting landscape with forests, meadows and ponds. Artfully designed aisles, hunting lodges, drinking booths as well as corridors and natural monuments document 400 years of princely hunting pleasure and the need for representation of the landgraves and grand dukes of Hesse-Darmstadt.

 

The app "Jagdschloss Kranichstein" allows to explore the history of the Jagdschloss Kranichstein with a video, audio documents, historical pictures and maps.

Information: www.darmstadt-tourismus.de/en/visit/service/darmstadt-apps

Waldfriedhof

open

Waldfriedhof

The 80 acre cemetry in the woods (Waldfriehof) is Darmstadt’s largest cemetry. It was opened in 1914. The architect was the head of Darmstadt’s city planning, August Buxbaum. The cemetry was designed in the shape of a horse-shoe. In the middle, a north-south pathway runs from the south entrance to the more recent additions to the cemetry. The city crematorium can be found in the Waldfriedhof.

Olbrich House

Olbrich House

The residence of the architect Olbrich was built in 1901. It was damaged in the second world war and in a much simpler form, re-built in 1950/1. Today, only the blue and white tiles on the facade remind one of the original house. Joseph Maria Olbrich lived here until his premature death in 1908. Today the building is home to the German-Polish Institute. The white marble fountain at the edge of the property depicting a young boy drinking was created by the sculptor Ludwig Habich.

Datterich-Brunnen

Datterich-Brunnen

The Datterich fountain is located north of the Justus Liebig House on Kleinschmidt-Steg. Special feature: the moving figures!

 

The fountain sculpture originally stood in front of the entrance to the Luisencenter. The fountain is a bronze sculpture consisting of bronze figures standing on a large moving wheel, the limbs of which can be moved and whose figures are based on the main characters of the "Datterich" (a historic play). During the renovation of the Luisencenter in 1996, it was dismantled, overhauled in Aachen and rebuilt as a dry plastic in its current location. The spiral column that formerly protruded in the middle was replaced by a bronze stage curtain by Stirnberg, and the function of the fountain was given up.

Observatory Darmstadt

Observatory Darmstadt

The observatory on Ludwigshöhe, a popular destination in southern Darmstadt and one of the highest points in the city, has existed since 1981. The building was built and expanded with a great deal of work, in large part by the club members themselves. The observation devices are distributed over a large roller roof platform and a dome. These include workshops, exhibition and group rooms, a lecture hall and an extensive library with over 600 volumes of astronomical literature.

Market Square

Market Square

Since Darmstadt was granted its town charter in 1330, weekly markets and annual funfairs have been held in the market square (Marktplatz). The fountain was, until the sixteenth century, the only public water supply in the town. To the south of the square stands the renaissance style Alte Rathaus (old town hall), home today to the registry office, and the Ratskeller with its own private brewery.

Upper Hessian House

Upper Hessian House

The "Hessian State Exhibition of Fine and Applied Arts“ took place on the Mathildenhoehe in 1908. Olbrich designed the “Oberhessisches Haus“ for the occasion and it is still in good condition today. The little pavilion in the garden was designed by Jakob Krug, one of Olbrich‘s former colleagues. Today it is the home of the Mathildenhoehe institute.

Lily Basin

Lily Basin

The fountain in front of the Russian Chapel was built for the fourth exhibition of the Darmstadt Artists‘ Colony in 1914. It was designed by Albin Mueller, following the death of Joseph Maria Olbrich, leader of the artists‘ colony. The floor tiles were completely renewed in 1993.

Darmstadt sculpture garden

closed

Darmstadt sculpture garden

The Darmstadt sculpture garden is a place of diverse encounters for art and garden lovers. Guests get an insight into the specific features of the artist's garden, which has been created on Ludwigshöhe in the past eighteen years: sculptures, sculptures, objects, installations, natural sculptures, found and collectibles with the surrounding ambience develop into a total work of art on a 4,000 m2 forest area.

 

 

Guided tours

The sculpture garden can only be visited with a tour. The tours serve to better understand the art project and its public appreciation.

 

Sunday tours from 20. June 20 to 14. November 2021

Sundays / public holidays, without registration

Collegiate Building

Collegiate Building

The Collegiate House was built between 1777 and 1780 on the north side of the Luisenplatz as seat of the ministeries. The plans were made by the chief planning officer of Hanau, Franz Ludwig von Cancrin.

The west wing was added in 1845, the east wing in 1889. Both connect the collegiate building with the new chancellor's building (Kanzleigebäude) on the Mathildenplatz, which was built in 1825 to plans from Georg Moller. Today the "Kollegiengebäude" is seat of the Darmstadt regional council.

Steinbruecker Teich / Oberwaldhaus

Steinbruecker Teich / Oberwaldhaus

The former forest of Darmstadt's nobility surrounding the large "Steinbruecker Teich" lake is a much-loved recreational area just outside the gates of the city. Mini-golf, pony rides, pedal boots and a playground for children with and without handicaps all await the vistor.

 

Since 1901, the café-restaurant Oberwaldhaus offers refreshments, a beergarden and also rooms for overnight guests.

 

Pony riding Oberwaldhaus: www.ponyhof-oberwaldhaus.de

Pony riding: for children from 3 to 5 years

Take a pony walk (a pony without a rider!): from 6 years

from March to October: Saturday / Sunday / Holidays: 12 pm to 6 pm

Only in dry weather, without registration.

Palace Museum Darmstadt

closed

Palace Museum Darmstadt

The versatile collection of the museum, founded in 1924 by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig, takes you on a journey throug the centuries with its numerous regional and family history references. In the showrooms, which are furnished according to epochs, the Palace Museum presents paintings and sculptures as well as applied art from the 16th to the early 20th century e.g. furniture, tapestries, clocks, glass, ceramics, gold and silver works.

 

Please note that access to the Palace Museum is currently only possible from the Karolinenplatz via the wall bridge.

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Ernst-Neufert-Bau (Ledigenwohnheim)

Ernst-Neufert-Bau (Ledigenwohnheim)

The "Ledigenwohnheim“, a hostel for single people, was built to the plans of Ernst Neufer in 1954/5 and is one of the five completed "Meisterbauten“ on the Mathildenhoehe in Darmstadt. Neufert’s plans were used in a slightly changed form by the "Bauverein“ for working class accomodation. The result was a six-storey apartment block with 156 small apartments, which was originally intended as homes for single people. In the building was also a laundry, a shop and a restaurant. At the start of the 21st century the building was completely renovated under the management of Ramona Buxbaum, whereby a number of larger apartments were created. The electric wiring and plumbing were modernised. Since it is a listed building, some apartments had to retain their original form.

Orangerie

In 1716 Count Ernst Ludwig established a baroque orangery garden in Bessungen. His architect Louis Remy de la Fosse planned a small castle to be used as winter quarters for the valuable citrus trees. Lack of money meant that only the west wing and a greenhouse were built. These buildings are used today as a restaurant and as a venue for various events.

Paedagog

Darmstadt’s first high school, the Paedagog, specialised in teaching boys latin and greek in preparation for attending the Hessen state university in Giessen. Built between 1627 and 1929, the building contained an apartment for the school director as well as classroms. Famous pupils included Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Justus Liebig und Georg Büchner.

Deiters Haus

Deiters Haus

In 1902, Olbrich built for Wilhelm Deiters, director of the first exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony, the house with the distinctive corner tower at the east entrance to the Mathildenhoehe. With a surface area of 8.9 by 9.5 metres, Haus Deiters was the smallest of the seven homes which Olbrich had designed for the exhibition "A Document of German Art“ in 1901.

Darmstadt Artists' Colony Museum

closed

Darmstadt Artists' Colony Museum

The Artists' Colony Museum in the Ernst Ludwig House built in 1901, documents the history of the Darmstadt Artists' Colony (1899-1914) on the Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2021.

 

The museum provides a comprehensive overview of the creative work of universal artists such as Joseph Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens. The idea of the Gesamtkunstwerk as the ideal of the Art Nouveau movement is brought to life in spatial ensembles. The museum's sculpture studios, built in 1904, host special exhibitions from the 19th century to the present.

 

Downhill from the museum lie seven of the eight artists‘ houses, which were show-cased during the first exhibition in 1901 (three further exhibitions were held in 1904, 1908 and 1914).

 

 

The Artists' Colony Museum is certified for accessibility in the "Reisen für Alle" project.

The detailed information can be found here: www.reisen-fuer-alle.de

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Alter Friedhof – the Old Cemetry

open

Alter Friedhof – the Old Cemetry

Known today as the "Alter Friedhof“, Darmstadt’s old cemetry between the Nieder-Ramstaedter-Straße and Herdweg dates back to 1828. Originally rectangular in shape, additions in 1848, 1873 and 1894 have led to its current form. The oldest tombstones are to be found in the northern part of the cemetry.

 

Darmstadt’s oldest graveyard was around the parish church (Stadtkirche) and was used until 1739. But soon there was no more space there and the Kapellplatz became the new cemetry. By the start of the 19th century, this too had no more room for burials. As a result, the city opted for a new cemetry in the Nieder-Ramstaedter-Strasse. In 1847, the cemetry on the Kapellplatz was turned into a public park.

Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt

closed

Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt

The art and natural history collections of the counts and grand dukes are the foundation of today’s Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt (HLMD, Hessian State Museum). With its mixture of art, culture and natural history exhibits, the museum is one of the oldest all-round museums in Europe. In a close cooperation between Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig and Alfred Messel, the building was specially designed for the different collections and was formally opened in 1906.

 

 

Accessibility is achieved in the HLMD to the best of its ability - as far as this is possible in an old building. In the house there are ramps, lifts, which can be used by physically disabled persons, and barrier-free toilets. In addition, there is an audioguide for blind visitors, who support the specially designed six touch models.

 

In the basement of the museum the museum café "HERZBLUT & ZINKE", offers warm dishes made from fresh, local produce as well as coffee and cake.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Studio building

Studio building

Albin Müller, director of the last artists' colony exhibition in 1914, designed the complex of the "Miethäusergruppe" consisting of eight residential buildings. As a cohesive ensemble of buildings, it was intended to shield the Mathildenhöhe from the brewery buildings to the north-east, which were considered unsightly.

 

The studio building is the only surviving wing of the large-scale architecture, which once consisted of a total of eight houses. Today, it is used by the Design Department of the Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences.

close

Darmstadt Card

The Darmstadt Card is available as a one-and two-day ticket, it includes the use of all public transport in the city area (fare zone 40) and discounts to numerous cultural facilities.

Darmstadt App

With the official Darmstadt app you have everything you need for your stay in the "City of Science" always at your fingertips.

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt

With the Mathildenhöhe App you go on a journey through time on Mathildenhöhe. Historical views are superimposed with current images and illustrate how the Mathildenhöhe developed during and after the Artists' Colony.