Art Nouveau in Darmstadt

Art Nouveau in Darmstadt

Not only on the Mathildenhöhe you will find "Art Nouveau". Darmstadt's central station also displays numerous Art Nouveau elements, as does the Art Nouveau Bath - which already bears the term in its name. In the Hessische Landesmuseum Darmstadt, a whole department is dedicated to "Art Nouveau".

Upper Hessian House

Upper Hessian House

The "Hessian State Exhibition of Fine and Applied Arts“ took place on the Mathildenhoehe in 1908. Olbrich designed the “Oberhessisches Haus“ for the occasion and it is still in good condition today. The little pavilion in the garden was designed by Jakob Krug, one of Olbrich‘s former colleagues. Today it is the home of the Mathildenhoehe institute.

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt - UNESCO World Heritage

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt - UNESCO World Heritage

The Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt is an ensemble of Wedding Tower, Exhibition Hall, Museum Artists' Colony, plane tree grove and artist houses. It was laid out as the garden of the grand ducal court as early as the 19th century and was one of the most important centres of modern art and architecture in Europe and the world for 14 years, from 1901 to 1914. Its inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2021 underscores its global importance as a pioneer of modernity. .

Deiters Haus

Deiters Haus

In 1902, Olbrich built for Wilhelm Deiters, director of the first exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony, the house with the distinctive corner tower at the east entrance to the Mathildenhoehe. With a surface area of 8.9 by 9.5 metres, Haus Deiters was the smallest of the seven homes which Olbrich had designed for the exhibition "A Document of German Art“ in 1901.

Lily Basin

Lily Basin

The fountain in front of the Russian Chapel was built for the fourth exhibition of the Darmstadt Artists‘ Colony in 1914. It was designed by Albin Mueller, following the death of Joseph Maria Olbrich, leader of the artists‘ colony. The floor tiles were completely renewed in 1993.

Art Nouveau Bath

closed

Art Nouveau Bath

The "Darmstadt City Bath", built between 1907 and 1909, offered separate swimming pools for men and women as well as showers and bath tubs for people with no bathroom.

 

Following extensive renovation, the complex with its three wings and Art Nouveau decor is today a true wellness temple with swimming pool, outdoor pool, sauna and SPA.

Ostermann House

Ostermann House

The villa on the edge of the Mathildenhoehe was built in 1908 for Paul Ostermann, the director of the collection of the grand duchy, by Alfred Messel, the architect of the state museum. The classsical style of the villa bears no relation to the Art Nouveau of the neighbouring Artists‘ Colony. Today Ostermann House, also known as Alfred-Messel-House, is the home of "Hessen Design“.

Behrens House

Behrens House

Peter Behrehs, painter and craftsman, built with his first work an architectural monument. For the first exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony in 1901, he designed his own home with complete interior fittings – an example for the "Gesamtkunstwerk“ concept (complete work of art) propagated by the Jugendstil movement. The house was severely damaged in 1944, but its exterior was largely restored to the original design. Behrens, who was a member of the Artists‘ Colony from 1899 until 1903, is seen today as having paved the way for modern industrial construction.

Habich House

Habich House

House Habich was the residential home with studio of the Darmstadt sculptor Ludwig Habich, designed by Joseph Maria Olbrich for the exhibition in 1901. Destroyed in the war, it was re-built in 1951 in a somewhat simplified manner but in its original basic form.

Swan Temple

Swan Temple

The Swan Temple with its 8 double pillars and dark glazed ceramic tiles was designed by Albin Mueller for the exhibition of the Artists‘ Colony in 1914 as a ceramic garden pavillion. A special feature is the acoustic: if you stand in the middle and speak, the little temple becomes a whispering gallery.

Institut Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt

Institut Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt

The Institut Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt is an internationally oriented multi-disciplinary centre for the fine and applied arts. With its distinctive Exhibition Hall including the Wedding Tower, the Artists' Colony Museum and the Municipal Art Collection, it is in every respect an exceptional place for researching, presenting and communicating art and culture since 1900, with a special focus on the present. The aesthetic heart of Darmstadt beats here. The Institute preserves the cultural heritage of Darmstadt's unique Artists' Colony and dynamises this historic setting of Art Nouveau for the present day.

Darmstadt Artists' Colony Museum

closed

Darmstadt Artists' Colony Museum

The Artists' Colony Museum in the Ernst Ludwig House built in 1901, documents the history of the Darmstadt Artists' Colony (1899-1914) on the Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2021.

 

The museum provides a comprehensive overview of the creative work of universal artists such as Joseph Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens. The idea of the Gesamtkunstwerk as the ideal of the Art Nouveau movement is brought to life in spatial ensembles. The museum's sculpture studios, built in 1904, host special exhibitions from the 19th century to the present.

 

Downhill from the museum lie seven of the eight artists‘ houses, which were show-cased during the first exhibition in 1901 (three further exhibitions were held in 1904, 1908 and 1914).

 

 

The Artists' Colony Museum is certified for accessibility in the "Reisen für Alle" project.

The detailed information can be found here: www.reisen-fuer-alle.de

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Russian Chapel

Russian Chapel

In 1894, Czar Nikolaus II of Russia married Princess Alix, the youngest sister of Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig, who commissioned the building of the Russian Chapel. It was inaugurated in 1899 and was used by the family of the Czar whenever they visited. The architect was Louis Benois of St. Petersburg. Today, it is the church of the Russian orthodox community in Darmstadt.

Small Glückert House

Small Glückert House

Olbrich had actually designed the house in 1901 for the sculptor Rudolf Bosselt, one of the first seven artists of the Artists‘ Colony, who was however unable to finance its completion. The furniture maker Julius Glueckert took over responsibility for the building in addition to his exhibition house, the Large Glückert House, and furnished it as his own residential home.

Large Glückert House

Large Glückert House

The "Large Glückert House“, designed in 1901 by Joseph Maria Olbrich for the furniture maker Glueckert, served him as an exhibition room until the break-up of the Artists‘ Colony. Since 1971, the Large Glückert House has been the home of the German Academy for Language and Literature.

Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt

closed

Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt

The art and natural history collections of the counts and grand dukes are the foundation of today’s Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt (HLMD, Hessian State Museum). With its mixture of art, culture and natural history exhibits, the museum is one of the oldest all-round museums in Europe. In a close cooperation between Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig and Alfred Messel, the building was specially designed for the different collections and was formally opened in 1906.

 

 

Accessibility is achieved in the HLMD to the best of its ability - as far as this is possible in an old building. In the house there are ramps, lifts, which can be used by physically disabled persons, and barrier-free toilets. In addition, there is an audioguide for blind visitors, who support the specially designed six touch models.

 

In the basement of the museum the museum café "HERZBLUT & ZINKE", offers warm dishes made from fresh, local produce as well as coffee and cake.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Main Station

Main Station

When Darmstadt's main railway station (Hauptbahnhof) was opened in 1912, it was the first through station in Germany. The building, designed by Friedrich Puetzer, contains many Art Nouveau elements. Artists of the Mathildenhoehe, such as Heinrich Jobst who was responsible for the reliefs over the main entrance, also participated in the design.

 

 

Information on the services offered at Darmstadt Hauptbahnhof can be found at www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/Darmstadt_Hbf.html.

Accessibility:

If you need assistance with entry, transfer and disembarkation, mobile service staff will be there to help you.

Olbrich House

Olbrich House

The residence of the architect Olbrich was built in 1901. It was damaged in the second world war and in a much simpler form, re-built in 1950/1. Today, only the blue and white tiles on the facade remind one of the original house. Joseph Maria Olbrich lived here until his premature death in 1908. Today the building is home to the German-Polish Institute. The white marble fountain at the edge of the property depicting a young boy drinking was created by the sculptor Ludwig Habich.

Studio building

Studio building

Albin Müller, director of the last artists' colony exhibition in 1914, designed the complex of the "Miethäusergruppe" consisting of eight residential buildings. As a cohesive ensemble of buildings, it was intended to shield the Mathildenhöhe from the brewery buildings to the north-east, which were considered unsightly.

 

The studio building is the only surviving wing of the large-scale architecture, which once consisted of a total of eight houses. Today, it is used by the Design Department of the Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences.

Exhibition Hall on the Mathildenhöhe

Exhibition Hall on the Mathildenhöhe

The Exhibition Hall on Mathildenhöhe, which opened in 1908 together with the Hochzeitsturm, is the venue for outstanding special exhibitions of international contemporary art as well as art and culture around 1900. The tension between contemporary presentations and cultural-historical positions of the turn of the century results in an extraordinary and vital programme in which utopias and a spirit of departure meet a striking sense of form and reality.

 

The Exhibition Hall remains closed due to general renovation.

 

 

The "Hochzeitsturm“ (Wedding Tower) and the Exhibition Hall (1907-1908) were the work of Joseph Maria Olbrich. Hidden under the hall is the fascinating vault of a walled water reservoir, a technical masterpiece.

 

The reservoir was built between 1877 and 1880 to the plans of the engineer Otto Lueger at the highest point of the Mathildenhoehe – and at the time fed the city’s water supply network.

Hofgut Dippelshof

closed

Hofgut Dippelshof

The restaurant-hotel Hofgut Dippelshof is a jewel of Art Nouveau, located in a beautiful Art Nouveau-park surrounded by woods and meadows. A location with special facilities, equipped with a multi-award winning kitchen.

 

Event rooms:

Blue room for up to 100 people

Pagoda tent for approx. 55 people

Garden house for up to 20 people, including the terrace for up to 60 people

Wedding Tower

closed

Wedding Tower

The Hochzeitsturm (Wedding Tower), with its famous five fingers profile, was a wedding present from the city of Darmstadt to Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Eleonore von Solms-Hohensolms-Lich in 1905. It is a viewing platform and, since 1993, also a branch of the Darmstadt registry office. It has become a symbol of the Darmstadt City of Science.

 

The observation deck offers a panoramic view of the city.

 

The Wedding Tower has an elevator, which can be reached via a few steps.

 

Model of the Wedding Tower:

A touching model of the Wedding Tower can be found in front of the tower at the staircase in the plane grove.

 

 

Partner of the DARMSTADT CARD:

reduced admission

Plane Tree Grove

Plane Tree Grove

On the occasion of the exhibition of the Artists’s Colony in 1914, the Platanenhain, a grove of plane trees planted in the 1830’s, was decorated by the sculptor Bernhard Hoetger with a row of sculptures and reliefs, which symbolise the circle of life.

close

Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt

With the Mathildenhöhe App you can go on a journey through time on Mathildenhöhe. Historical views are superimposed with current images and illustrate how the Mathildenhöhe developed during and after the Artists' Colony.

 

For viewing the web-version and the direct links to the AppStore and Google Play, please click here.

 

Online shop of Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt