Welcome to Darmstadt
City of Science or Centre of Culture? Darmstadt is both. Like almost no other city, it combines an appreciation of the arts with a passion for science and innovation. Darmstadt still has the charm of a royal capital – at the same time it is a modern city, a laboratory for cultural as well as scientific experiments.
The journey started with the forming on the Mathildenhöhe of the Artists' Colony, a group of artists whose exhibitions enjoyed worldwide recognition and who created a document of modern forms of construction and housing - starting point for modern industrial design.
Before the title “City of Science” was bestowed on Darmstadt in 1997, the city was recognised as “City of the Arts”. In fact, both sides go hand-in-hand, recognising that the combination of tradition and innovation is the “Darmstadt Way” to discover new things – here and throughout the world.
See you in Darmstadt!
A hike over the 7-Hügel-Steig or a bike tour on the 60 km bike route "Around Darmstadt" - there are many ways to discover the city. And this year, too, there are many cultural highlights such as exhibitions, anniversaries and other exciting concepts.
Whether for a shopping spree, meeting friends, visiting a museum or one of the many leisure activities - see you in Darmstadt!
Darmstadt Shop Luisencenter
Tel.: +49 6151 - 1345-13
Fax: +49 6151 - 1347-5858
Monday to Friday: 10 am to 5 pm
Saturday: 10 am to 4 pm
Current information on COVID-19
- Retail: All shops open, mask compulsory. You can find information about your favorite shop in the city centre in the digital shop window of Darmstadt Citymarketing e.V.
- Gastronomy: Open with contact data collection, mask compulsory up to the table. Compulsory testing indoors.
- Clubs / discotheques: Outdoor area with conditions (compulsory test, people limitation). Opening of the interior areas as a bar / restaurant.
- Hotels / overnight stays: For tourist stays, negative proof upon arrival and test once a week for stays of 7 days or more.
- Cultural and leisure facilities: Open with a hygiene and distance concept.
- Public transport: Mask compulsory in the vehicle and at the stops.
Frequently asked questions and answers to the most impotant rules are listed on the webiste of the State of Hessen. For further information or the daily incidence level in Darmstadt please visit the website of the City of Darmstadt.
Looking for a Darmstadt souvenir?
Guided city walks - buy your ticket online!
Join us for a walk over the Mathildenhöhe, visit the European Space Operations Centre of ESA or have a glance behind the scenes at the State Thetre Darmstadt. Find all tours and tickets online at "Visit - Guided tours".