Castle Moat of the Residential Palace
Since 2014, the former moat (Schlossgraben) is, again, as a park open to the public.
The history of the Darmstadt Botanical Garden begins in 1814, when the moat of Darmstadt Castle was supplied with water from the Darm and Soderbach brooks, both of which contained sewage from the neighbouring old town. This led to an unbearable stench in the moat during the summer months. Johannes Hess (1786-1837), a grand ducal building councillor who was also interested in botany, therefore proposed draining the ditch and founding a botanical garden on the newly reclaimed land. On 17 June 1814, the Grand Duke approved Hess's plans and thus we can regard this date as the birthday of the botanical garden.
In the scientifically planned grounds, native plants - primarily herbaceous representatives - were cultivated first and foremost.
It soon proved to be completely inadequate, and so in 1829/30 the first relocation took place to the Herrschaftliche Bosquett, today's Herrngarten. After several further moves, the Botanical Garden has been at its present location between Woog and Lichtwiese since 1874.
Back to overview