Oberfeld

  • Oberfeld
  • Oberfeld
  • Oberfeld
  • Oberfeld
  • The Oberfeld in the east of Darmstadt, south of Dieburger Straße - the name "Oberfeld" only became common in the 19th century - was created as a medieval clearing island, presumably in the 14th century, in order to gain additional arable land for the growing population of Darmstadt.

    population. Another use was stone carving. In the south of the Oberfeld, quarries had been operated since the 16th century. Copper and iron ore were also mined. In the 17th century, ditches and fences were built along the edge of the forest to protect the fields.

    fences were built along the edge of the forest to protect the fields from escaping game.

     

    Since the late 19th century, the people of Darmstadt discovered the Oberfeld and the surrounding forest as an excursion destination. The Verschönerungsverein (beautification association) laid out footpaths and

    benches.

     

    To this day, the Oberfeld is used by the people of Darmstadt as a local recreation destination, increasingly so in recent years since the renovation of the Rosenhöhe created a direct path connection to the Oberfeld and the farm of the Oberfeld estate cultivates the arable land with a variety of crops, grazes the meadows with a herd of cattle and, through a variety of initiatives, creates a new attraction for young and old.


    Back to overview

    Address

    Katharinenfalltorweg

    64287 Darmstadt


    Contact

    Darmstadt Shop Luisencenter
    Luisenplatz 5
    64283 Darmstadt 
    Tel.: +49 6151 - 1345-13
    Fax: +49 6151 - 1347-5858
    information@noSpamdarmstadt.de

     

    Opening hours:

    Monday to Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm

     

    Shopping with the "Darmstadt Gutschein"

    The vouchers worth 10, 25, 50 or 100 euros can be bought online and in the Darmstadt Shop and can be redeemed in over 40 shops and restaurants in Darmstadt.

     

     

    www.darmstadtgutschein.de