Welcome to Darmstadt
City of Science or Centre of Culture? Darmstadt is both. Like almost no other city, it combines an appreciation of the arts with a passion for science and innovation. Darmstadt still has the charm of a royal capital – at the same time it is a modern city, a laboratory for cultural as well as scientific experiments. The journey started with the forming on the Mathildenhöhe of the Artists' Colony, a group of artists whose exhibitions enjoyed worldwide recognition and who created a document of modern forms of construction and housing - starting point for modern industrial design.
Current information on COVID-19
Due to the current health situation, various restrictions are still in place. You can read more about these & other restrictions imposed by the general decree on the website of the City of Darmstadt.
A mask requirement applies in the inner city area from 8 am to 10 pm. This does not apply to outdoor dining areas with seats.
Additional measures include:
- Stays in public spaces are only permitted in the group of members of your own household and of one other household to group size of no more than five people. Associated children up to and including the age of 14 are not taken into account.
- The retail trade can open for click&collect with fixed appointments per customer and special hygiene rules.
- Service companies (e.g. hairdressing salons, massage and cosmetic studios) can within the framework of fixed appointments and subject to strict conditions.
- The catering industry can only offer delivery and pick-up of meals.
- Alcohol is forbidden in public all day long.
Frequently asked questions and answers to the most impotant rules are listed on the webiste of the State of Hessen.
For further information or the daily incidence level in Darmstadt please visit the website of the City of Darmstadt.
Heiner - that is the name for a "real Darmstädter". And the Heiner are proud of their city and all it has to offer.
A hike over the 7-Hügel-Steig or a bike tour on the 60 km bike route "Around Darmstadt" - there are many ways to discover the city.